Monday, September 25, 2017

VLVS Sept Challenge: Cleaning up the Gene Pool

Ha ha!  When I first saw this sentiment stamp I knew I *had* to have it - it just makes me laugh.  For the VLVS September challenge I latched onto the stripes and antlers from the inspiration board to create this ATC.

As instructed, I used fall colors like greens, browns and blues.  I thought this antler dude was a great fit, too.

To create the stripes I masked off sections and used Distress inks.  If you look closely at the background you'll also see where I heat embossed a swirl stamp to mimic...chlorine fumes.  LOL.  (I swam on a swim team throughout my childhood and the smell of chlorine still brings a smile to my face.)

Below is the inspiration pic that started it all.

I hope this ATC makes you chuckle, or at least smirk.  To join the VLVS challenge check out the details HERE.

Have a great day and thanks for popping by.  :)

Sunday, September 24, 2017

ITAC '17: Europe

When I thought of old Europe the first thing that came to mind was the explorers of the 17th and 18th centuries.  Some of the prompts for this theme were old papers, textures, blue and vintage.  I decided to create an ATC for my project.

I layered torn strips of a book page on the base and then gesso'ed randomly over the top of that.  Next came Distress inks in a couple of shades of blue.

I colored the compass with watercolor pencils and alcohol markers and then applied a crackle glaze to make it feel old and vintagey.

'Explore' was created with black embossing paste through a stencil.  I also added a torn bit of an old nautical chart.

I wish I'd had more time to participate in more of the ITAC challenges, but September is a busy time of year.  Check out what the guest artists created for this challenge HERE.

Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Art = Happiness ATC

The Rubber Dance color challenge for the beginning of September pulls colors from a beautiful image of autumn leaves.  My base actually started as something for a completely different project, but it morphed into this ATC.

My base started as Bristol paper covered with Distress ink.

To get the cream color for the challenge, I swiped on some white gesso (the gesso absorbed some of the brown underneath).  After that I scribbled into it while still wet with the pointy end of a paintbrush.  

The flowers (by Rubber Dance) were also colored with Distress inks and white gel pen.  The little grid in the upper right corner is a die cut that I covered with Distress Paint (brass and gold).  Last addition was a bit of green thread and sticker quote.

Thanks for swinging by today.  Check out the Rubber Dance monthly challenge HERE.