-->

Saturday, April 13, 2013

12 Tags of 2013 - April

Good morning!

Today's little project was my April tag for Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2013 challenge.  On his blog, Tim showed a really cool technique for getting a faux patina.  (Follow the link to see his amazing tag.)  He used his new Distress Paints to get an aged patina look but sadly, (and it feels like I say this every month) I didn't have the paints he used so I improvised. 


I attempted a rusted iron look.  To do this I spread some Wild Honey and Tarnished Brass Distress Stains on my craft sheet, sprayed with a little water and ran a piece of white cardstock through it a few times.  After it dried I rubbed on some Wild Honey and Walnut Stain DI.  After roughing up the edges I dabbed on some Walnut Stain and Tarnished Brass Distress Stains on the exposed edges then dipped them in water to make them run into the tag.

The leaves were hand-drawn on the tag and painted with a water brush using Mowed Lawn and Peeled Paint DI.  More were drawn onto a book page that had been swabbed with some Mowed Lawn Distress Paint and a quick spray of Dylusions Cut Grass.  A little Walnut Stain and Peeled Paint DI darkened them up a bit.

Love this water drips stamp in the background.  After I stamped it with Versafine Black Onyx I used my water brush to lighten up the insides of the drops, then I covered them with Diamond Glaze. 

The ribbon was colored with a mix of Wild Honey, Peeled Paint and Mowed Lawn Distress Stains.

The size of the tag is 6' x 3"; I think I'll use it for a bookmark.

Thanks for stopping by and getting to the end of this long-winded description!  ;)

3 comments:

Redanne said...

I love the background technique that you have used and the water drop stamp (I have one like this by Ryn and love it) is the perfect finishing touch, the water looks so realistic.

Courtney K said...

beautiful tag! love the green leaves with the rust background.

Karin said...

Beautiful tag, gorgeous backgound
And i love the quote!