-->

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Ode to My Mom, the Gardener

Several weeks ago my beloved and I made a jumbo Jenga game for my son's 6th grade party.  We used 4x4s and I kinda messed up the measurements (forgot the measure twice, cut once rule...) leaving my dearest the job of trimming a chunk off the ends.  What we were left with was a nice little collection of square chunks that I wouldn't let him throw away.

My mom loves to putter in her garden.  Her birthday was yesterday so I made her a little somethin' somethin' with one of the blocks. (Thankfully she knows me well enough to not expect a gift on time!)


I love the mix of the rough-textured block (I didn't sand it except for a smidge on the sides; didn't want it to be splinterish) and the soft, feminine touch of the flower, cheesecloth and swirly bit in the back.


The flower is made with TH's Tattered Florals die cut from a scrap of experimental paper that I had smoodged color all over a while ago.  I also stamped some text over the flowers for a little interest and backed it with spritzed and inked up seam binding.


Love this garden quote.

I am adding this to the Our Creative Corner challenge: Handmade Flowers and Hand-dyed Ribbon here.

Thank you for stopping by today!

10 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Julie what a thoughtful and beautiful gift for your mum, and what a brilliant way to use that block! I love your gorgeous flower and ribbon and that sentement is just perfect for someone who loves gardening!

Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Our Creative Corner!!

Handmade in Israel said...

Beautiful! I am sure that Mom was thrilled with it (even if it wasn't gifted on time!!).

massofhair said...

STUNNING wooden plaque Julie, can imagine your Mum's face when she received this very thoughtful and beautiful gift:-) xxx

Jenny Marples said...

What a fantastic way to use this wood piece. I bet your mum was thrilled. Jenny x

chrissie said...

This is wonderful-so much colours and texture to the flowers

Love Chrissie x

Karin said...

fabulous creation, beautiful flower!
Groetjes Karin (OCC)

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Gorgeous flowers and lovely creation!!

G Peplow said...

Fabulous flowers in gorgeous colours, a very lovely gift :D x

Rupa Swaminathan said...

Julie, this is sooo pretty! Loved the colorful flower and the way you have the used the block is just so thoughtful!

Laurart said...

Fantastic idea to use the wooden block! This is so beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us this month at Our Creative Corner! x