-->

Sunday, October 11, 2020

I'm still alive!

 Wow.  It has been a really long time since I've posted.  Part of the reason is that several months ago I read somewhere that blogs are becoming a thing of the past as people use social media platforms like instagram, twitter, etc. more to share their art.  It made me sad.  I love roaming around people's blogs and it feels less frenetic than frantically trying to keep up with my social media feeds.  I thought about giving up on my blog...I did give up on my blog.  But this morning I decided that it doesn't matter if anyone actually stops by.  At least this provides me with a place to document what I've been doing with a little more space to write about it... so here goes.

Back in July I took a virtual class with Deb Weiers.  LOVE her art; it's very whimsical and goofy.  I was totally inspired and when my friend, Angeli, told me about a local art fundraiser looking for donations I thought it would be a perfect excuse to get busy creating. 

This is really different for me.  In the past I used a lot of stamped images and created with them as a focus.  This art is very different though and stems from my own messy brain.  I made four  6"x6" piece canvases for the auction...and they all sold.  Cool!

The first one is "Bill Loves the Ladies".  Growing up my parents had a friend named Bill.  He was short and bald and quite the flirt.  I see Bill every time I look at this picture.


This is "Nose of A Boxer, Heart of A Poet".  When I'm making these I start with random scribbling, splattering, etc and then look for an image to emerge from the chaos.  This poor guy had a pretty bumpy nose, but his eyes looked kind of melancholy and thoughtful to me.  His hair was a pain in the ass, but sometimes art is that way, am I right? 


"She Was A Dreamer" was a struggle to complete.  I had her almost finished but the background and her schnoz were giving me trouble.  I can't tell you how many times I stared at her and then set her aside waiting for inspiration to strike.


"Sunday Morning Blues" was the first one to be finished. I love the crazy hair and bright colors on this guy.  His bleary eyes made me think of somebody who partied a little too much on Saturday night.  Ha ha!


These are so much fun to make and they take me days to finish.  I have to set them aside and come back to them over and over again but it's a real feeling of satisfaction when one is done.  Now I need to get busy and make some more because the family asked why we don't have any...

If anyone is out there and stopping by thank you for checking in!


2 comments:

sdowkes said...

I'd much rather read a blog - I don't do Twitter and don't really understand Instagram, though I do belong. I don't take pictures with my camera, so I can't contribute to it :)

Love your art!

sally said...

Woohoo! These are wonderful!!! I’d say Bill is my favourite & I think we all know someone who is like that lol.

Sally xx