-->

Thursday, April 16, 2020

The 100 Days Project - Days 1-10: Masterboards

For the past several years I've stalked artsy friends on social media who participate in the annual The 100 Day Project.  Every year I'm a little envious because they say that it really helps them develop new skills and perspective.  I decided that this year, since I have a lot more time on my hands than I usually do at this time of year, I would hop aboard this particular bandwagon.

My goal is to create 100 inchies.  I like to work small, but rarely work THAT small.  It seems like a do-able challenge though.  Each 10-day increment I'm going to have a different theme.  For Days 1-10 I used inchies cut from index cards.


To start, I gelli-printed up some index cards using cool colors and warm colors.


Then I cut one warm color card and one cool color card into 1" squares.


I alternated between the warm and cool inchies each day.  Here's what I came up with...

Day 1: acrylic paint and Sharpie
Day 2: text from book, Pitt pen, gel pen, Sharpie.  This was the day that the Superintendent of Schools announced that schools would not open again this year.  My son is a senior in high school  So sad for him and classmates that this is the way they're ending they're K-12 years. No spring sports, no prom, no "lasts" with their classmates, no graduation ceremony...
Day 3: gel pen, Pitt pen, Sharpie, Copics, pencil. It was a beautiful, sunny day and I spent most of it working in the yard.
Day 4: I used both warm and cool colored squares and cut holes in them (making them larger on each square. In addition to an X-acto knife I used Sharpie and dye ink.
Day 5: I drew her majesty using Sharpie, metallic pen, gel pen and acrylic paint. She came about after I found a piece of paper buried on my desk that shows how Teesha Moore makes some of her people.
Day 6: Japanese book page, circle punch, Sharpie, alcohol inks, washi tape, dragonfly brad.  I was perusing inchies on Pinterest and wanted to create something with more embellishment.  Found the little dragonfly brad in my stash in a long-neglected drawer.
Day 7: watercolor crayon, Copics, Sharpie, gold metallic pen, book texts.  This square had just the one plus sign on it.  The day before was Easter so that must have influenced my choice?  The warm color of the background reminded me of the Southwest and The Muse insisted on an old adobe church.
Day 8:  Acrylic paint, Pitt pen, Sharpie, book text.  The blue of the iris is the only part you can see from the original square.  I just wanted to do something different this day.
Day 9:  music sheet, washi tape, acrylics, Liquid Pearls, Sharpie.  In my inchie research I kept coming across inchies by Phizzychick..  This was inspired by some of her work.

Day 10: Acrylic paint, Sharpies, watercolor crayons, glitter spray.  I wanted to use complementary colors today.  The circles reminded me of bubbles and I cut the fish from one of the warm color squares. 
And that's it...days 1-10...check!  The first four days I found it easy to sit down and create something.  Then it started getting harder and I had to slog through a bit.  I found myself looking at my plan and hoping for a new theme.  I stayed motivated though.  But we're only on Day 10...yikes.

Here's how I'm keeping myself honest.

The Grand Plan
If you'd like to follow along daily check out my 100 Day Project instagram account @jjjhere100dayproject.

Thanks for hanging in there for this very long post.  Cheers!

No comments: